Sunday, June 12, 2022

Depressing School Shooting articles

I'm often asked on my Facebook page "Why do you post all of these depressing school shooting articles?" Because there are lessons in each article, each shooting, that people can learn from. I note how a shooter got inside (intruder shooters are rare, most are students), time of day (before school, class changes, and lunch are times shootings most often occur), and so on. 

I've kept certain stats and noticed trends over 23 years of studying school shootings. I have not seen an official count yet but the stats I've compiled of guns found in schools across the US, more guns were found in elementary schools than high schools--the result of irresponsible gun owners not securing their weapons, their children finding them and taking them to school. With rights come responsibilities. 

And so it is with this piece--lessons to be learned. And acted upon, or the lessons were not truly learned, as we see over and over again-- With shooter inside Uvalde classrooms, officials say secure doors kept police out

How many lessons can you get from this article? How many of you will share this article with your school's superintendent, principal, teachers? How many will share it with their fellow parents? How many will think "Wow, I wonder what the schools our children attend would do about a situation like this?" 

Post the article on your social media. Engage others, ask questions, talk about what's going on! Learn the lessons that the (not too distant) past can teach us!

Update: Posted this past Father's Day weekend by Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter was killed in the 2018 Parkland school shooting. He's right--no one listens until it's 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 child...

"Today, I would like to tell you a bit more about me. Why I do what I do and how I am doing. 𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐮𝐜𝐞 𝐠𝐮𝐧 𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝."

Most importantly, I study past school shootings because wannabee school shooters study them in order to learn from the mistakes of previous shooters, in order to increase their "score" (number of deaths). I study school shootings to learn the mistakes made by parents, school officials, and law enforcement. I then share that information. Do you learn from and share that information? Why not?

Please consider using the share buttons to share this content!

Content copyright © J Clark 2022, updated 2023. Please seek permission to use material from this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments clean as younger persons may be reading. Vulgar, rude, or antagonistic comments will not be posted.

Studies on various aspects of school shootings and school violence PART FIVE

I  often hear "The government has done no studies on school shootings in over 2 decades!!!" Why wait for the government? "The...